Monday, December 11, 2017

THE MOUNTAIN WAS ON FIRE

Hey y'all!

So, the Sunland area had another fire. We actually got evacuated this time! We even made the Mormon Newsroom! Sis. Parker and I went to Glendale with other sisters. It was so much fun! I love them, but I definitely did miss my people. 

Tuesday we evacuated and Friday afternoon we came back. It's been a crazy week! 

There have been so many miracles! Not one house from our ward caught on fire! One family lost their garage and barn. The fire melted a few things on the outside of their house, but the house MADE IT! Even a HUGE TREE MISSED THEIR HOUSE! I can't help but sit and think that there's a loving God who loves us and cares about us! Keep praying for the people in Ventura. They're getting hit the worst.

We got Facebook this week! Yay! Just a reminder, I'm using Facebook for missionary work. My birthday is coming up and I love getting birthday wishes, but if you could send me an email or letter instead of posting on my wall, that'd be great! Thanks! 

It's been a hard week, but through it all we've been able to find comfort. The holidays have a special feeling because we really focus on the Savior. I love the new 2018 youth theme: Peace in Christ. He is our ultimate source of peace and comfort.

Love y'all! Have a great week! 

Sister Sorensen 

1. Mormon Newsroom! 
2. Smoke from the fires on Tuesday 
3. #LightTheWorld by dropping off goodies for a sick family
4. Sisters Church and Mowes! I'm in the back seat. #BLESSED! 



Picture 1 didn't come through - Mormon Newsroom - but there was an article about the fires.




OK, so, now for some of what she wrote me!!!!

"THIS WEEK WAS NUTS!!!!

SOOOOO. We didn't have a car this week, so that alone was gonna be an adventure. Monday night the wind was so dang bad. We wake up Tuesday and THE POWER IS OUT!!! So I can't take a shower cause the water is too cold! And we had interviews in LA Crescenta!! BOY I WAS LOOKING ROUGH!!! As we were walking to the bus stop, THERE'S SMOKE! Now I'm like, "Craaaapppppp...." in the middle of interviews, the Zone Leaders leave because they needed to help a family evacuate from LAKE VIEW TERRENCE!! I'M LIKE THAT'S IN OUR AREA AND WE LIVE RIGHT NEXT TO THAT MOUNTAIN!! 

We FINALLY get home around 12 and we have power (BLESSED!) So we fix lunch and stuff. Then we call some people and members by us are like, yeah we're evacuating. So I'm like SHOOT! WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO?! We go outside and start walking to see what's going on and it so happens that a member was driving by and was like GET IN YOU CRAZYS!! So we helped an elderly woman with cancer evacuate. We get home and we look at a map and we see that WE'RE ON A MANDATORY EVACUATION! Well, we don't have a car! We pack 3 days worth of stuff and wait for the Wells. After a couple of hours, the Wells picked us up and took us to dinner. We get to Glendale safely. 

Now, I've never been in an apartment with another set of missionaries. Most of the sisters were from the South and I had so much fun! Especially with Sisters Church and Mowes! We were able to come back Friday afternoon after we picked up our car. Some people didn't come back until Saturday. One family in the ward was blessed because their house should be gone. But it survived! All our stuff is fine too. I think they were worried about the winds picking up."

So there you have it folks! The story of her evacuation. I'm glad she is safe and her Ward family is safe. Now hopefully she'll have an uneventful birthday week!

No comments:

Post a Comment